Wednesday, May 23, 2012

So Much Schoolwork!

Just like the last two weeks of any term at Dartmouth, I'm feeling the stress of the final push. This morning, I had my group presentation for my conversation class. My friend Mary and I presented on the similarities and differences between family dinners in the U.S. and family dinners in Spain. It went well, and I think people especially enjoyed the croissants we brought for everyone.

Next week, I have to write a paper about the novel that we just finished reading for my literature class. For my culture class, I have to write a short essay about one of Gaudi's creations and what it meant for art in Spain in the early 1900s. On top of that, I have a final exam in my grammar class on Tuesday and an in-class essay for culture on Thursday.

We have a final program dinner next Thursday night, and the following day I'm flying to Lyon, France where I will meet my friend Nancy and begin our 9-day European adventure! I cannot believe how fast my time here has gone by. In addition to the schoolwork I have to finish, I'm going to make the most of my last week here and try to check off the last few things on my ever-evolving Barcelona to-do list.

Yesterday, Carla (Amparo's 3-year-old granddaughter) spent the night with us. She is full of energy! I read some picture books to her and we colored in her coloring book. She speaks more Catalan than Castillian (AKA "normal" Spanish), but we're able to communicate pretty well. I'm starting to understand a fair bit of Catalan, which shares a lot of words with French. After dinner, Carla and I watched a Bob Esponja (SpongeBob) and an episode of Scooby Doo in Spanish. It was cool to watch cartoons that I'm familiar with, and I was surprised that I could understand a lot of the dialog.

Today was absolutely beautiful. After having lunch with Amparo, we both fell asleep on the terrace in the sun. When I woke up, I went for a run through Montjuic and then along the beach, which was absolutely packed with people. Today was a very relaxing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment