Saturday, May 26, 2012

Barrio Gotico

This morning, I went to a little cafe near where I live, and started to study for my upcoming exams. Then I returned home for lunch. Amparo and I ate outside on the terrace because it was warm but not too hot. After lunch, I read more of my book and then decided to go for a walk. I wandered around Barrio Gotico, which is the old part of the city, near Las Ramblas. It's made up of lots of narrow streets with all kinds of shops. I came across a few fun things during my walk. First, I made it to Santa Maria del Mar, which is a famous old cathedral. My conversation teacher told us she thinks it's the most beautiful cathedral in the city, so I'm glad I got a chance to see it.



After that, I found an outdoor market selling different hand-made candies, jellies, jams, and candles.



Next, I found the the Catalunya capital building, which I had visited on Dia de Sant Jordi, but had not seen from the front.



On my way home through the narrow streets on the other side of Las Ramblas, I came across the coolest shop ever. It was kind of like a second-hand clothing store, but they had some new clothes as well. Interestingly, they sold clothes by weight. 13 euros per kilo of clothing. I found some shorts overalls (which I've been searching for for years!) and a great shirt that will be making an appearance at tackies 12x. They added up to a kilo, but I sort of accidentally bartered with the guy (we were speaking Spanish, I'm still not really sure what happened) and ended up getting both things for 10 euros. Good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment