Sunday, August 3, 2014

Ranger Programs

This is the Bookcliffs View Shelter where rangers lead evening programs on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer. The programs go from 7:30 to 8:30ish, just perfect to watch a colorful summer sunset.


I've led the evening program a few times this summer. We have the freedom to talk about whatever we want. After a lot of reading, I've created a three part evening program that I've developed and improved over the course of the summer. 

First, I talk about general history of the monument, the important characters in its history, and early efforts to build a road. I've learned a lot about the building of Serpent's Trail - the first auto road in the monument. After that, I go into the geologic story of the canyons as it pertains to road building and because I think it's fascinating (rock nerd). Then I return to the story of the road, and go into the construction of Rim Rock Drive. I talk about FDR, the Civilian Conservation Corps, and the backbreaking labor that went into building the 23 mile road along the top of the canyons through the monument. 

I've been fascinated by the CCC since I learned about the legacy of their work during a memorable ranger program at Phantom Ranch when I was in high school. I've really enjoyed researching and reading accounts of life in the CCC camps during the 1930s, going through old photographs, and meeting children of CCC enrollees. I hope that through my programs, I can spark interest in this piece of American National Parks history just like that ranger at the bottom of the Grand Canyon did for me.


3 comments:

  1. So grateful for the CCC. Where would the national parks be without them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad and two of his brothers were in the CCC. They planted trees in the Monongahela National Forest. One story they told was that the younger of the 3 brothers was homesick and wanted to go home. Each worker was given one pair of boots. My homesick uncle took his boots and hide them claiming someone had stolen them. Because he had no boots and couldn't work, they sent him home. At least that's the way the family legend tells it. From Hugh Mellert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stories. Are you thinking about making the National Park Service a career?

    ReplyDelete