Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Vamos a la Playa!

Today was very relaxing. In the morning, I had lots of time (because my first class began at 11:30am!!), I went for a run in El Parc de Joan Miro, which is a few blocks away. I also ran by la Plaçe de Espana, where there is a huge statue in the middle of a round-about. I plan to go back there and explore more because there are several interesting buildings around the round-about. Running is a good way to see parts of the city and to determine places I should see.

After my run, I went back to the apartment and had breakfast. Then I walked to the University. My schedule on Tuesdays is great -- I only have two classes, gramática and historia. I finished classes at 2:30 and met up with my friend Eve. We walked around near the University for a bit with other Dartmouth kids. Then Eve and I went to the beach! We took the metro to a beach pretty far out called Selva del Mar. It was beautiful, about 70˚ and not a single cloud. The water was pretty cold, but in a few weeks or a month it will definitely be warm enough to swim in. There were a lot of people at the beach. And, yes, some of them were naked.

We laid in the sun for a while and I read a short story for my literature class. Doing homework on the beach isn't so bad ;) And don't worry, I bought sunscreen at a grocery store on my way home yesterday. Then we walked along the beach all the way back to Barceloneta, which is the main touristy beach. It's probably about a mile and a half. Along the way, we passed this random patio with free public exercise equipment (below). Spain is weird.


In Barceloneta, we walked along a bike path that was really busy with people on bikes, skateboards, rollerblades, and tons and tons of runners. There are lots of palm trees in Barcelona, especially near the beaches. Here, I'm standing next to a cactus that looks like a gigantic pineapple.


I've walked more in the 4 days I've been here than I've ever walked before. Between walking everywhere and having to concentrate really hard all the time, I'm pooped by the time I get home at night. Tonight I got home before my host mom because on Tuesdays she takes a class on writing in Catalan. And I think she takes a computer class in the mornings, but it's unclear. She doesn't speak any english, but it's ok because I'm starting to understand more of what she says.

Sidenote: In Barcelona, everyone speaks two languages: Catalan and Castillian (spanish). Many of the advertisements and a lot of the TV channels are in catalan, which is kind of similar to French. Most of the public information signs are in both, which is nice. Tonight, Amparo's daughter, who is probably in her early 30s and is married, came over to pick up some food and she was speaking Catalan. Amparo told her to speak in "Castillano, por favor" so that I would understand. Except she spoke so fast I couldn't understand anyway. Oh well.

Everyone is talking about the strike that's happening all across Spain on Thursday. Check it out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17315961

¡Hasta manana!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Kelly! Glad to see you are safely in Spain and enjoying the start of the semester. I was thrilled to see you got to visit La Sagrada Familia, by Antonio Gaudi, one of my favorite architects of Spain. He also designed several notable buildings (an apartment block, I believe, near Parc Joan Miro) and parks (Parc Guell)that I'll pass along in a future message. Have a great time, study hard, and be careful. All the best, Uncle Woody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KELLY!!! This blog is absolutely amazing! It sounds like you are already having an amazing time and learning so much. The pictures are beautiful and the food sounds so amazing. I can't wait to hear more about your amazing adventure!!! <3 Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to a Rick Steves interview about Barcelona. His guest explained that the American word "gaudy" comes from Gaudi, meaning "over the top."

    ReplyDelete